Intradermal vaccine delivery allows to effectively target the antigen presenting immune cells in the dermis and epidermis. This enhances the efficacy of vaccines and may potentially result in a significant dose sparing compared to intramuscular injection. Clinical evidence of comparable systems shows a 5-20x fold reduction of antigen required for same immunization compared to I.M. application.
Furthermore, there is no, or significantly reduced, requirement for adjuvants.
Adjuvants are normally used for intramuscular injections to initiate local inflammation, attracting a wide range of very different immune cells.
For an animation on this please view the following explainer.
Microneedle delivery is minimally invasive and pain-free for the patient. Our micro-needle arrays, incorporated into a patch and applied by a simple insertion device makes the administration safe and easy to use. It allows for self-administration by the patient. Self-administration -in the patient’s home environment- leads to better patient convenience and lower overall costs.
Our technical solution for vaccine delivery presents unique and valuable advantages:
- our npMNA's deliver into the most immune-competent area of the skin (epidermis and dermis). This is more or less impossible for high-numbers vaccination programs using subcutaneous or intra-muscular needle-stick delivery.
- Depending on the type of antigen to be delivered, our intra-dermal delivery requires up to 20x less antigen compared to standard subcutaneous or intra-muscular delivery used in most vaccination campaignes. This saves critical time and huge costs to produce enough vaccination units on time to curb new and recurring viral epidemic/pandemic outbreaks as caused by for instance Influenza, Ebola or Corona viruses.
- Many vaccine-formulations for our npMNA's can be delivered in dried state, to be re-activated by skin-moist or other means. This offers important savings in cost-, complexity- and speed as expensive cold-chain storage and distrubution is eliminated from getting your vaccines into the field quickly and safe.
- Speicific excipients are compatible and versatile with the nano-porous structure of our npMNA's allowing for different release profiles as well.
- Loading of formulations into the npMNA's is a scalable process, i.e. soak-drip-tip or with more sophisticated loading techniques.
- Due to the porous structure offering instant liquid absorbtion, drying times in high-throughput/continuous production are far less than with other tyopes of micro needles which rely on thin film coatings.
- As our npMNA's do not draw blood, protecting healthcare workers against blood-borne infections (i.e. HIV, Ebola, Hepatitis) is far less cumbersome, and far less intimidating for patients.
- The delivery of the vaccine using our npMNA's is painfree, as the microneedles do not reach the nerve-tips nor the feeding blood vessels (these are located in deeper tissue layers).
- The microneedle patch is easy to administer and hassle-free within 30 seconds, and can be done by local healthcare workers, GP's or even through self-administration by the patient using our disposable applicator... sent though postal delivery.